Monday, June 05, 2006

Ideas for the new abode

I'm so excited about the new place I'm getting butterflies just thinking about the interior decor!!!

It's a 3-bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment slightly over 1,000sqf. I think I'll have a Japanese Zen-like theme for the dining area. Just a low coffee table that will be used as a dining table, on a straw mat with seating cushions. Found the perfect coffee table for that at Ikea. Seating cushions, I'm thinking Jim Thompson just to add a bit of plush to the whole setting. Perhaps add a glass bowl filled with water and floating candles as the centrepiece. Now, to find a place that sells a decent straw mat.

For the living room, I'm still considering two options. Javanese teak pieces or sleek contemporary steel pieces. Shall I have a sofa-bed or not?

If I go with the Javanese teak theme, there will be 2 single-seater teak chairs with a round coffee table set in between. Then I'm thinking maybe a 3-seater day-bed that can double up as a real bed by just putting a layer of mattress on it. Problem is I gotta custom make the mattress to fit the 3-seater. Scatter cushions, once again, courtesy of Jimmy T. Another piece to think about would be a 2-seater bench-like chair that can be used as a table/shelf instead. Teak furniture courtesy of wholesaler in Puchong. For lighting under this theme, a standing lamp with a wooden stand would be nice. Failing which, something which resembles a Japanese paper lantern would do fine as well. This can be found in a furniture shop in Cheras.

However, if I go with the sleek contemporary steel pieces, I'll find my way to Ikea and Harvey Norman again. I've got my eye on this sofa bed. Very clean, minimalistic design. Instead of a normal coffee table, I'll probably get an Ottoman. Can double up as a seat as well. An AV set from Bang & Olufsen would really complement the whole 'look'. Unfortunately, that would so burst my budget. I think I'm short of chairs here. 2 more steel-framed single-seaters should do the trick. I think I could squeeze in a plush lambskin rug somewhere. Color? Every piece will come in white and grey steel. This includes the skinny standing lamp as well. Y'know the kind that has light bulbs branching out at the top? That's the one!

I'm going back to Japanese Zen for the bedroom decor. Bamboo blinds in place of curtains. Square paper lanterns for lighting. Futon in place of a bed. Low and long shelves with a full length mirror mounted on top sideways so that it takes up a broader view. Doubles as storage space and a dresser.

The smallest room I have will be turned into a walk-in closet. 'Nuff said.

The guest room will house a fuss-free single bed with a pull out bed from underneath. I'm keeping it bare as I'm not encouraging guests to stay overnight.

I'll probably have one huge art poster on the wall near the entrance.

Hmmm...I wonder if I've forgotten anything???

8 Comments:

Blogger [V]landa said...

excited nye!

where is this place?

10:14 PM  
Blogger Ms. J said...

Kat Jalan Kuching/Segambut area...

1:03 AM  
Blogger Sports Freak said...

err... what about the Plasma/LCD TV for us to drop by and watch the World Cup.. :)

Anyway, as long as i'm invited for the house warming, any how you decorate it will be fine.. i trust your taste..

2:08 AM  
Blogger TT said...

Sounds like my kind of dream home too :D

2:16 AM  
Blogger The Girl said...

COOOL!!! Can I buy you stuff for your place? When are you moving in? Will you be there when I come back in August? I want to stay over there! That's near Midvalley right? Well nearer than Kajang anyway right. The coasters I got you will go with the Javanese teak, not sure if they'll match the steel and whatever theme.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Ms. J said...

SF-Geez, I thought you said you'd supply the plasma TV???

TT-You and Japanese Zen???

Psycho-Buy me whatever you want...And no, you're NOT moving in with me! Muahahahahah.......(And no, it's nowhere near Mid Valley, what did you get for geography eh?)

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited bout my new place too =) bought the bedsheets already altho i haven't got a bed yet hehe

1:22 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Wow... its always so much fun moving into a new place to call your own.

Have fun decorating!!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home